Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Taking it international!

Well the weekend after the TCS NYC marathon I ended up run/walking the Trenton 10K with a dear sole sister.  On Thanksgiving I ran my 3rd Prospect Patk Turkey Trot.  The race that I had been waiting for to close out my 2014 season happened this past Saturday, The Reggae Marathon 10K.  This was my first trip to Jamaica and first trip out of the U.S. in 6 years!!!   I boarded an insanely early flight with my fellow Reggae Runnerz.  We were at least half the flight.   We arrived around 930 am and first stop was a Pina Colada at Margaritaville (actually it was to duty free shopping 😊).  After a long ride from Mobay to Negril, we checked in and made a quick dash to change and hit the beach.  I enjoyed having time to chill out before the race.  Friday was the Pasta Party I never made it to (won't go into whole story but don't fall asleep in the Caribbean sun when you have been partying).   Race start was 5:15am so  set alarm for 3:45.  I fell asleep early and woke up after midnight and tossed and turned till time to get up.   Even with early start in the dark it was warm but not horrid.  Exodus was the song that got the race started.   I started to feel itchy and thought I was getting bitten by bugs but turns out it was just my sweat.   Music at every mile.  Water and electrolyte drinks in baggies (when need this in the U.S.).   It was a flat course but dark early.  I made sure to look down to avoid tripping.  Along the course were specators,  some saying nothing, some saying a whole lot....hint...hint.  Also some ganja smokers along the way.   At one point there was a baby goat running along with us.   I started to race in the 1.5 miles to beat the sun.  I actually kept a better pace than expected.  A fresh coconut awaited at the finisher party.  Also nice ice cold red stripe.  I hung around for a bit before the bugs started to invade the area.  I walked back to the hotel along the beach.  I was back on the beach by 10am.  Running was such a small part of the trip but I can say I enjoyed myself and would definitely do it again.  10K only, once the sun comes up there is no shade on the course which happens to be an out and back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment